Glass Studio Kiln Assistant and Alarm
for your Android Device
Kiln Lackey is in Development and is expected to be available
on the Android Market by June (2011) . Email me if
you'd like to get in on the beta version, want notice of when
it's released, or if you have features
you'd like to see.
Glass and Ceramic Artists... Kiln Lackey brings these abilities your Android phone...
- Store and modify any number of ceramic or glass kiln
ramp/hold firing programs. Custom user-defined ramp/hold
programs allows you to match whatever programming your brand of
kiln controller has. Kiln Lackey currently comes with Skutt
GlassMaster (with special support for "Glass Fire Mode")
programs. Programs for other brands of kiln controller are easy
- Calculates at what time of day the kiln will be at a certain
temperature. Continuously shows what temperature the kiln(s)
should be at.
- Multiple user-defined alarms allow you to know when the kiln
should be at certain temperatures or segment so you won't forget to be
there if needed.
- By comparing what Kiln Lackey indicates the temperature
should be (based on the ramp/hold program that you programmed the kiln
with) against what the kiln's controller
indicates, it indicates that there might be an issue with your kiln's elements, thermocouple,
or controller itself.
- Firing log that can be exported to Excel via standard .csv
- Multi-threaded design supports multiple kilns firing simultaneously.
Each kiln has its own profile and you can import any programs
from other kilns as you need.
- If needed, Lackey can be synchronized to the actual
temperature of the kiln. This would be used after doing a
flash cool, but can also be used to "train" Lackey to understand a kiln's typical
cool-down rate so kiln opening time can be approximated.
Training may not be perfectly accurate due to variations in
ambient room temperature and air flow around the kiln.
- User recordable "alarm" tones so you could hear a
reminder, something like "Time to flash cool" (or is this silly?
Let me know :)